Congleton Sustainability Group
Last Updated: 183 days ago
Congleton Sustainability Group has existed since June 2009. It is made up of several community groups in the Town pursuing environmental agendas – Congleton Cycling Campaign, Bromley Farm Community Trust, Congleton Community Projects, Inclosure Trust, William Dean Trust, Astbury Mere Trust and Energy Projetcs Plus along with Town and Cheshire East Councillors and officers, our local Eco-Schools champion, our local social housing provider and several influential residents.
Our main objectives are:
- To earn the right to be a Transition Town in 2010
- To give life to our Fossil Fuel Free Beartown (the nickname for the town, see www.mybeartown.co.uk ) campaign to reduce use of fossil fuel based energy in buildings
- To expand our Local Abundant Food campaign creating Congleton’s own label produce – apple juice, jams, pickles and chutneys this year.
- Building on the Eco-Schools work completed in the town – 5 of our 6 Primary Schools have their Green Flag awards. We are now working to create a Sustainable schools cluster in Congleton.
- We are working with the Dane Valley Hydro Group to use the Town’s River Dane to produce hydro electricity. The Town’s industrial heritage is based on the use of water power to drive silk mills and we plan to form a community owned industrial and provident society to own the proposed hydro scheme(s) to generate electricty and produce funds for energy efficiency grants in the Town.
- We have a 1010 focussed energy campaign called ‘weekly watch watts’ where people download simple monitoring charts to challenge their gas and electricity consumption.
- We are maximising our impact through articles in the local paper – The Congleton Chronicle – and through increasing use of a social media campaign and our website www.congletontransition.org but if you look you’ll see we are not short of work to do…….
We belong to Cheshire Low Carbon Communities, Cheshire and Warrington Sustainability Alliance and The Transition Network